Stone walls do not a prison make. . . That is why in Boise they choose to use brick and concrete. This is St. Lukes in Boise where I am doing a 2 month pediatric rotation. The learning is great and it is really nice to work with so many kids and babies, but the hours suck. At worst, I work 30hrs, am off for 18hrs, then I am back on for another 30. At best I get to work a couple of 10 hr day shifts between the 30hr shifts. I am really glad that a couple years ago work hour restrictions were put in place that limit resident physicians to an 80hr work week (averaged over 4 wks). Apparently, things used to be a lot worse than they are now. So, for the past 2 weeks, Lisa and the kids have been in Wendell so Tyler could do
swimming lessons there. He is doing great and I am really proud of him. Lisa and the kids are coming to Boise for a couple days tomorrow since I have a couple of 10hr days in a row and I can actually see them while they are here. I feel bad for her because the apartment I am staying in is in a less than ideal neighborhood and she is nervous about being here alone while I am at work. Luckily, our friends Kyle and Liz Millard are here and we have a family zoo pass that works at the Boise zoo. Hopefully she won't have to hang out in the apartment too much. 
I have posted some pictures we took while we were at Yellowstone for our "Residency Retreat" a month ago. Lisa, the kids and I all slept in a tent in the wilderness and we all survived the night.




2 comments:
I will think of you next time I complain about being tired. That is scary. honestly I wouldn't want a dr. looking at me after he has been there for 29 hours. ????? Hang in there. when are you done??
We COMPLETELY understand your plight- I have been saying that residency is like a several year boot camp for doctors- - they all have to go through it. Jon has to do the 30 hour shift thing too - - in fact this last weekend he did Friday early morning to mid Saturday, then Sunday early morning to mid day Monday (a little over 30 hours each shift). When he got home monday he told me he got a grand total of 10 minutes of sleep (he accidentally fell asleep at a computer- - but then his pager went off), so he crashed for about 4 hours before we went to an Elder's quorum pot luck. People in our ward noticed Jon looked a bit tired and their eyes would bug out when I told them he had worked over 60 hours in the last three days!
Soooo- my heart is with you guys!! It is worth it- right?? You will be stronger for it!
Post a Comment