So yesterday was a little crazy. We just had a lot of things stuffed into the morning hours and things get crazy and little people get tired quickly. So I sat down about 3 o clock and was channel surfing to get a little relief from the insanity around me. I stop on Dr. Phil which I rarely do, and low and behold he is talking about a new study out on stay at home moms. This catches my attention and I stop to listen. So this Dr. of sociology has done this "study" that says that we stay at home moms don't have it hard as we make it seem because we average about 30 hours of leisure time a week. WHAT THE.....!!!!! I don't know who this guy was studying but I don't think he is right. The dr. goes on to say that any activity that isn't work such as exercise, a root canal, conversation with anybody, church activites, sports, reading, ect. is leisure time.
The last conversation I had was moments ago and with a 3 1/2 years old. I didn't think it was leisurely or intriging. I exercise for sanity while the kids are asleep, I take the kids to most of my meetings and church activites, and most of these moments are ones I would not classify as calm, relaxing moments. And when I do sit down on the couch for a moment of rest and rehab, I am never alone. There is always a hand running through my hair, a little hand tugging on my hand or many many requests for chocolate milk, a snack ,treat, or a book to be read. So if you couldn't tell this Dr. Phil episode was making me very frustrated as well as many of his guests. Dr. Phil covered his behind by saying that its all in a person's definition of leisure that would determine the number of hours spent a week.
I asked my dear hubby if he thought I had too much "time" on my hands. He gave me a funny look, asked if this was one of those questions that he wouldn't get right no matter the answer and than said, "No, I can't get anything done when I watch the kids so I have no idea how you get anything done." Good answer my dear.
I think these people who haven't lived the life of a stay at home home should zip it when it comes to telling us we don't get enough done with our time...so there Dr. Phil.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



6 comments:
Amen sister!
I'm glad I missed that - I bet he gets some heated mail from that!
oh dear! Its a good thing you weren't on that show!
Obviously, he has no experience being a stay-at-home dad!
I know I am a bit behind on reading your blog (sorry!) - - but I had to comment!!
I totally agree with you! I would have been fried to hear I have too much leisure time- - ha! There are so many days that I think going to work outside the home would be more leisurly than what I do at home! Plus I would get MONEY for the work I do! So do these working parents get to count their QUIET drive home as leisure time? Every time they get to have a "conversation" with someone?
Anyway- on a side note- I just had to say your kids are growing up so fast and they are adorable! Your little Kate is so cute- I love your post about Easter - - my girls (especially Cynthia) totally did the same things with their socks and shoes, and bows!
I was checking out some blogs out of boredom and found it interesting that a friend of my wife's (who coincidentally has 3 kids and is the wife of a Dr. working his residency) posted on the same subject.
Her post could lead one to believe that there is an aspect of leisure to the full time mom gig. Which I personally don't think, if true, detracts from the hard work moms obviously put in.
Here is a quote from her post so you can see what I mean...she says:
"I've never liked the term "stay at home mom." That makes it sound like I'm on house arrest. In truth, I've never had a job that allowed me so much freedom. I'm allowed to make as many personal phone calls as I want. I can take a long lunch in the park with my girlfriends. I can head out in the early afternoon and check out a sale at Target. I can watch youtube videos while I work. I can blast loud music while I work. I can even have a dance party while I work. Heck, I'll even take a nap in the middle of the workday. I'm not a prisoner in my own home . . ."
Her description in comparison to yours made me think, are the experiences different, or is how the experince being viewed different? I'm sure it is a little of both and I am certain that one isn't more valid or correct than the other...just an interesting observation.
As another aside, my wife reads a blog maintained by a stay at home dad. He printed up business cards to describe his station as a stay at home dad that say "Gentleman of Elegant Leisure." I thought that was funny.
Post a Comment