Saturday I ran my first half marathon. It turned out to be way harder than I expected. I had been training well and had done a lot of 10 mile runs without any problem. I thought that going from 10 to 13.1 miles wouldn't be that hard. WRONG!It was really a lesson in patience and pacing. I started out WAY too fast. So fast, that I got blisters (and I don't normally get blisters) within the first 4-5 miles.
Then, since my arches (where the blisters were) hurt, I decided to run on the outsides of my feet. That made the rest of my body hurt in places that have never hurt before. The last few miles I was going so slow and I was exhausted.

Then, as I was collapsed on the grass, knowing that I was going to cramp up if I didn't move, but not caring, I told Lisa that there was no way that I was going to ever do a full marathon.

Now, with a little more clarity, I am willing to do another half marathon and see how it goes before I completely rule out a full marathon. Anyway, I am glad I did it. Despite still being really stiff and sore 3 days later.
PS. My time was 1:48:15. I was hoping for closer to 1:40:00 but I guess I have something to work towards.
No comments:
Post a Comment